SARAH BROOM 2015 POETRY PRIZE
The Sarah Broom Poetry Prize, now in its second year, is inspired by the spirit of imagination, freedom and determination that marked Sarah's life and work. The prize aims to provide recognition for a New Zealand poet and a financial contribution to support their work.
The prize is awarded annually to encourage and support the recipient in the completion of a full manuscript of original poetry.
Entries for the 2015 Sarah Broom Poetry Prize are now closed. We will advise when entries for the 2016 prize will open.
The recipient of the Sarah Broom Poetry Prize was announced at the Auckland Writers Festival in Auckland in May 2015 where shortlisted poets were invited to read their poetry at a designated poetry event at the Festival. The prize for 2015 is be $12,000. Read more about the winner.
Read an article in Booknotes about the finalists.
Any queries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. Poets are required to submit 6-8 poems of which at least 5 must be unpublished.
2. There is no maximum or minimum length – formatting and font size is your choice.
3. Entrants must be New Zealand permanent residents or citizens.
4. Only one entry per person will be accepted.
5. Entries must be the author’s original work. Any use of quotation must be acknowledged by attribution to its source.
6. Entries must be submitted as one electronic file per entrant, in Word or PDF format. Please include a brief cover letter with your contact details explaining what influences your work and how you would use the award money. Page numbering and the author’s name should appear as a header on each page of the submission.
7. The judging panel will assess the merits of submissions and reserve the right not to award a prize.
8. The prize recipient will be announced at the Auckland Writers Festival in May 2015 and in other appropriate publications.
9. No correspondence with the judging panel will be entered into.
10. The name and photograph of the prize recipient may be used by the Sarah Broom Poetry Trust for publicity purposes.